I placed him in his walker so I could make my coffee and watched him explore with our letter magnets on the fridge. I stood and watched that sweet little baby explore, grab, and babble and God gently began to remind me of the miracle that our little Bryson is. It’s so easy to forget the struggles that God has brought us through. During a good majority of my pregnancy we were unsure of how things were going to turn out with our little guy. We had to daily trust that God was in control and whatever happened was His plan.
A few months into my pregnancy with Bryson, I received a phone call about my initial blood work. The nurse said that I had something called “Antibody Big E.” Well who in the world had ever heard of that? I asked my mom, who is a nurse, and she had never heard of it. The nurse on the phone couldn’t even tell me much about it. After meeting with our doctor, we got just a little bit more information. The short version: during my first pregnancy, a Big E antigen was introduced to my blood that caused me to build up an antibody. They told me that the antibody might fight off the new baby’s blood. My doctor referred me to a Neonatologist who would monitor me throughout my pregnancy. At that point I became a high-risk pregnancy. We soon visited our Neonatologist where we had our first Level Two Ultrasound. This visit was bittersweet because we learned that we were going to have a sweet baby boy, but the tests they did that day revealed that his blood levels might be low. This was so scary for us. They scheduled us to come back a week later to monitor his levels, and hopefully the reading would be better. Between monthly blood work and visits to the Neonatologists every other week, the doctors seemed to think that Bryson’s levels were okay and my antibody level was not going up.
After going through such a smooth pregnancy with Kamryn, I never imagined that I would have to deal with something like this. God continued to teach us to stay strong and above all, trust Him! We had so many people praying for us and encouraging us the entire time, it was so amazing! Towards the last couple of months of my pregnancy, after numerous ultrasounds, the doctors felt that Bryson’s blood levels would remain stable and that I would just have to have monthly blood work done to keep up with my antibody levels. I remember that last appointment at the Neonatologist so clearly. I went with my sister-in-law and Kamryn. I stepped into the room like always and they began the ultrasound and much to my surprise the picture popped up 4D! Tears come to my eyes right now when I think about it. There he was! Our sweet little boy! I saw his little face and body so clearly. It was so comforting to see how alive and healthy he was. We spent some time looking at our little guy and then when we were finished they informed me that would be my last appointment there. I had enjoyed having the ultrasounds, but I was so relieved that I was not considered high risk any longer!
A couple of months later, with a much bigger belly, I walked into my 39 week and 6 day appointment! The next day I was due and I was oh so ready. After talking with my midwife and reviewing my files, they informed me that I would have to be induced the next day if I did not go into labor. This was a precaution because of the “Big E antibody” situation. I have to say, I was very relieved! I headed home from my appointment and began to make arrangements for everything (with contractions off and on), Bryan grabbed some Chili’s to go and as soon as we sat to eat, my contractions started to get harder and were 5 minutes apart. Our little guy was coming! We shoved some food down and ran out the door for St. Augustine.
At 3:50am, March 11th, our Bryson was born (on his due date) and weighed 8 pounds 1 ounce. After the final push and when I saw his face, I began to weep. I cried and cried! I was so relieved to see him finally here and healthy. As I sit here today and look at my almost 6 month old son, every bit of our pregnancy experience flashes before me. I remember the struggle of not knowing what was going to happen. I remember crying because I was afraid that we would never get to know our son. Today I look at his big blue eyes and see the miracle that God gave us! I thank God so much for my family and that He has allowed me to be the wife and mother I am today. I am so thankful that Christ promises to be with us through everything, He never lets go!





3 comments:
God is so GOOD! What a great post to God's unfailing love and the miracle of life!! :)
Windows Live Writer. You can download it online. I LOVE it!! :)
Nice to "meet" you! Glad you introduced yourself and arent a "stalker" anymore! Ha...
You have a beautiful family! What an awesome story your sweet boy has!
Post a Comment